Saturday, December 13, 2008

Thumbprint Cookies

We are getting down to the end of our cookie baking for the Christmas baskets. Two more to go after these little gems called Thumbprint Cookies. Here's the deal though. I didn't use the suggested thumb to make them. I used the end of my lemon reamer, dipped in sugar. It worked superbly to make the dent required to be filled with the jam of your choice. My choice was raspberry preserves and I think they turned out very well.
Thumbprint Cookies

2/3 cup butter at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts of choice (I used pecans)
1/3 cup jam of choice (I used raspberry)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla extract and salt. Gradually stir in flour.
Form dough into 1 inch diameter balls. Dip in lightly beaten egg whites, then roll in nuts. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. Press down center of each cookie with thumb and fill with 1/2 tsp of jam. Bake 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 2 dozen cookies.

No comments: