Monday, December 8, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Cookie

We all had our favorite on the Christmas cookie plate and mine, besides my own special angel cutout cookie, were these Orange Slice Cookies. I just loved the slight spice of cinnamon and the brown sugar flavor with the surprise of small pieces of orange slice candy mingled in every bite. I recently asked my mom for the recipe as I have never attempted to bake them before.

They turned out to be a very simple cookie to make, the only exception was the cutting of the orange slice candies. The batter can be made easily without using a mixer and the frosting too can be mixed by hand but I used my portable mixer to ensure the butter was fully incorporated. The orange slice candy does take a few minutes to cut up and it is important to make sure your knife or scissors are dipped in powdered sugar frequently so the candy doesn't stick to them.

Tasting these cookies again let me take a step back into my happy childhood!
Orange Slice Bars

4 eggs well beaten
2 cups brown sugar
1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup diced orange slice candies (cut into a sifter of powdered sugar - once all cut, shake off sugar)
1/2 cups nuts (optional)
Orange Frosting

3 Tbsp softened butter
3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp grated orange rind
1 1/3 cups sifted powdered sugar

Mix all these ingredients together to make a smooth frosting.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Blend together eggs, brown sugar and orange juice. Add flour, salt and cinnamon and mix just until blended. Fold in orange slice candies and nuts.Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool completely. Frost cookies and cut into squares.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These were my favorites too! I remember Mom spending so much time cutting the candy up, but they are so worth it.