Friday, December 5, 2008

Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts

The Husband is a devoted fan of The Simpsons. (Quite frankly, show me a male who isn't...) Like Homer, The Husband is also a devoted fan of doughnuts. As Homer once wisely observed, "Donuts-- is there anything they can't do?"

Since I am a devoted fan of The Husband (Quite frankly, show me a female who isn't...), I thought I would once again try my hand at homemade doughnuts for our Saturday morning coffee/newspaper time together. I had tried a time or two previously, and not had a lot of success. But one must perservere, so I found a new recipe to try. It went fairly well this time but, just like in previous attempts, the dough was extremely soft and I had to add much more flour than what was called for. However, once I got the dough to a workable consistency they cut out nicely and cooked up just as the recipe said they would. Like so many of my odd kitchen gadgets, I found my doughnut cutter at a garage sale somewhere along the way. Certainly not something I've used much but it came in handy today!
Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts

2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp butter, melted
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground mace
Vegetable oil for frying
Confectioners sugar and cinnamon sugar for dusting doughnuts
(I cut this recipe in half from the quantities listed above as two dozen doughnuts seemed a bit excessive for the two of us. (Though Homer and The Husband would argue this point, it worked fine.)

Whisk the eggs until light and lemony in color. Gradually add the sugar, whisking constantly until mix is thick and ribbony.

Stir in the buttermilk and melted butter. Add the sifted dry ingredients into the egg mixture and stir until combined. IMPORTANT: Do not overwork the dough. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Pour oil to the depth of 2-3 inches into a large heavy pot. Heat it to 375 degrees. While oil is heating roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut doughnuts out with a doughnut cutter or a biscuit cutter. Fry the doughnuts in small batches until golden brown. Turn once after 1 1/2 minutes per side. Use a slotted spoon to take them out and drain on paper towels. Check the oil before putting in new batches to ensure it is at correct temperature. Dust the doughnuts while still warm. Makes approximately 2 dozen doughnuts and doughnut holes.

1 comment:

Toby said...

I made your recipe this weekend. I am happily on donut overload now! The dough will be much easier to handle if you flour your pastry cloth well and knead the dough until it's no longer sticky. You should also refrigerate the dough until well-chilled. I got those pointers from a dessert book from Caprial Pence from Caprial's Bistro up here in Portland. She adds a teaspoon of vanilla and a lot more spice to hers, which I'd recommend. Thanks for the recipe!

Eileen, the Garden Kitty's mom