Sunday, August 31, 2008

Making Whoopie

Pies that is. Get your minds out of the gutter.

I have made a recent discovery lately that has thrilled me to no end. The public library has hundreds of cookbooks ready and willing to be checked out. I love cookbooks and I have a collection of approximately 100 volumes that I have amassed over the years. I find myself often sitting at the kitchen table perusing them for inspiration.

The first cookbook I ever received was the well used one pictured below. I believe my mother joined a cookbook by mail club and she got myself and my two sisters each a cookbook for the Christmas of 1972. I don't recall which books they received, but I have so enjoyed mine over these past 36 years (Oh my, how can it be that long ago?)The problem is, I need new material occasionally so I started going to the library and checking out 3-4 cookbooks at a time and it is so much fun. There have been a couple so far that I have on my list to purchase, but the great thing is I haven't wasted money buying books I would wind end up not using. I have a few of those in my current collection.

Today I was looking through a pretty cookbook called GoodHousekeeping's Great American Classics Cookbook. It was filled with scrumptious photos and delicious sounding traditional American recipes, one of them being this Whoopie Pie recipe. This was an extremely easy recipe to make and it was so nice not to have to dirty up the big mixer. It was a simple one bowl/one spoon cookie dough and the marshmallow filling was equally simple. A very tasty recipe.Whoopie Pies
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
6 Tbsp melted butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla extract

Marshmallow Creme Filling
6 Tbsp. softened butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 jar (7-7 1/2 oz) marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 deg and grease or line with parchment paper two large cookie sheets.

Prepare cookie dough by mixing in a large bowl, flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, milk, butter egg and vanilla with a large wooden spoon.

Drop 12 heaping tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart on each prepared cookie sheet. Bake until puffy and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, approximately 12-14 minutes. Switch cookie sheets in oven halfway through cooking. Cool cookies on a rack completely.

Prepare marshmallow creme filling by creaming butter in bowl with an electric mixer. Gradually add in powdered sugar, then beat in marshmallow creme and vanilla until smooth.

Spread 1 rounded tablespoon of filling on one side of 6 cookies and top with the other six cookies.

No comments: