Monday, January 7, 2019

Grilled or Toasted







There has been an ongoing debate in my home for years.  I call a cooked cheese sandwich a toasted cheese and The Husband always states "It's grilled cheese." I must have grown up in a household where the former title was used and I have always called it that.  What say the rest of you?


No matter.  Today I made lunch for the bestie and the menu consisted of rather unsophisticated childhood favorites of toasted cheese sandwiches, tomato soup, homemade dill pickles (thanks Jodi), and butterscotch pudding.  What raised the sandwich to adult heights was the use of three types of cheese.

Recently while on vacation, we made a stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory where I couldn't resist stocking up on some delicious varieties of cheeses including Monterey Jack and a  three year aged cheddar, one of their special reserve cheeses. Today's three cheeses included those as well as real, honest-to-goodness Parmesan-Reggianno.  When done, the combination of these cheeses really raised the sandwich to a new level.
 
You can't go wrong with a bowl of hot, creamy tomato soup along with the sandwich for a classic duo. An occasional dip of the sandwich into the soup is a must.  A creamy butterscotch pudding with just a squirt of whipped cream was the perfect sweet ending.  My bestie had announced earlier in the day that when she gets old and loses all her teeth, all she wants to eat is butterscotch pudding!

Obviously, no recipe for this lunch menu. I'm starting off slowly getting back into my blog. I'm still getting used to having time off and cooking has not been at the top of my agenda.

No comments: