Friday, August 24, 2012

An Italian Cocktail Classic

How has it taken me forever to discover the delicious cocktail called the Negroni?  This is a drink made with an Italian apperitif called Campari. It is apparently really catching on here in the States.  Not to long ago a Facebook friend mentioned sipping one on a Saturday afternoon and her photo looked very appealing.  It wasn't until yesterday though, while thumbing through the latest addition of Bon Appetit magazine I saw a two page ad for Campari and I knew it was time to get to the liquor store.

It actually took me going to two liquor stores before I was able to get my hands on a bottle of Campari, the key ingredient in this drink.  Let's just say apparently my town isn't a Negroni kind of place.  With gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth in hand I mixed up one of the most lovely cocktails I have had in a very long time.  It is one equal part of each of the  three components and it can be stirred with ice and strained into a glass or served over ice, garnished with a twist of orange peel. 
I don't know if this fantastic drink is going to totally replace my Perfect Friday Night Martini, but it certainly will be a very close runner up!  For anyone who is interested in the history of the Negroni, here is the Wikepedia link that will tell you everything you want to know.

Negroni

1 ounce gin
1 ounce Campari
1 ounce sweet vermouth

Combine the ingredients in a shaker with ice and stir then strain into a martini glass or pour into a glass over ice. Garnish with an orange peel.

1 comment:

Taradharma said...

I have tried Campari and didn't like it - but this looks delicious so perhaps I'll order at a bar sometime soon and give a whirl.