Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Guest's Pie

My blog has been out of commission for a couple of weeks due to severe technical difficulties with the computer. So severe in fact, that a new computer had to be ordered. Now, thanks to my own personal I.T. professional with whom I live (I'm so very lucky), we are up and running again.

Since I knew I wouldn't be able to blog for awhile I asked a co-worker if I could use his delicious recipe for a pie he so graciously brought to work to share with all of us last week. This multi-faceted fellow not only can bake pies, he also does beautiful calligraphy, sings in a master choir, gardens and is an all around good guy. So, without further ado, I present his delicious pie.

Sour Cream Apple Pie
Pastry for 9-inch One-Crust Pie
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg
2 cups chopped pared tart apples (about 2 medium)

Brown Sugar Topping
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons firm margarine or butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Mix all ingredients until crumbly.

Heat oven to 375 deg. Prepare pastry. Mix sugar, flour, and salt. Beat in sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and egg with fork until smooth. Stir in apples. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate. Bake until center is set,about 45 minutes.
Sprinkle Brown Sugar Topping over pie; bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. 8 servings; 390 calories per serving.

No comments: