Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Cherry Tomato Harvest

Finally the cherry tomatoes are ripening faster than we can pop them in our mouths and eat so I decided to make salsa with some of them. I didn't want to make the run of the mill Salsa Cruda so I decided on a black bean salsa that I adapted from a recipe from a former employee.

It's delicious with chips of course, but also good as a salad on it's own or served as a side dish/sauce with fish such as red snapper. It couldn't be more simple to put together once you have all the chopping done which as I have mentioned before, I enjoy doing very much. I find mincing, chopping, and dicing therapeutic in a mind numbing kind of way. It's such a needed change from my often frantic office pace.

Black Bean Salsa
1 can of Black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 bag of frozen white corn kernels
1-2 jalapeno peppers, cored and seeded (dependent on individuals heat tolerance)
1 avocado, cubed
3 cups of quartered cherry tomatoes (any tomatoes will work)
cilantro leaves chopped to taste
1/3 cup finely minced white onion
Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 large garlic cloves finely minced
Toss all of the salsa ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk the dressing together until emulsified then thoroughly mix into salsa. Let sit for an hour to combine flavors. Isn't it pretty?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can see is piles of chopped up crap. What does the salsa look like with all the fruits and vegetables (YFB) mixed up?

smc said...

Dear Whack Patti
Did you not see the "money shot" at the top of the blog all nicely plated with chips?