Monday, June 9, 2008

I Smell Hot Buttered Gingerbread



The Husband thinks a grandma lives in our house because occasionally I like to make good, old fashioned desserts. Sunday dinner with Mother-In-Law beckoned for such a dessert so I combined a couple of wonderful flavors together, gingerbread and apples. I usually serve gingerbread with applesauce but today I dug out Julia Child's The Way to Cook cookbook and made her delicious baked apples to compliment the cake.
I must admit, I cheated with the gingerbread and used a boxed variety which couldn't be easier. On occasion I have made a lovely cake called Treacle Cake from an English cookbook I have in my collection which is a much more complex flavored gingerbread than what we make in this country. Alas, no treacle in the cupboard today so I went the lazy route.


Gingerbread
1 Box gingerbread mix
1 egg
1 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 deg. In medium bowl mix gingerbread, egg and water just until well moistened. Pour into lightly greased 8x8 pan. Bake for 30-35minutes.

Baked Apples
3 Granny Smith apples peeled and cut into wedges approx 1/2 inch wide
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Mix apples with sugar/cinnamon mixture then pour melted butter over and stir well
Put into baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender throughout but not falling apart.
Serve a wedge of gingerbread and the apples and some of the buttery cinnamon sauce drizzled on top with a nice dollop of whipped cream and think of your grandmas!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...I had a funny comment to make but I told someone what it was and they edited their blog to include it.

smc said...

And I thank you, anonymous, for contributing your funny comment as it certainly made this particular entry far more entertaining!!