Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Banana Muffins Extraordinaire

Posted by PicasaTonight I got the baking bug at 6:15pm after I was already bathed, in my bathrobe and settled in watching Judge Judy (one of my major guilty pleasures).
As I had three nicely ripened bananas on the counter begging to be eaten from last weeks grocery expedition, I decided on banana bread. My intent was to bake something to take to work tomorrow as a treat for the office mates and my banana bread always wins them over. I shook the regular recipe up though and opted for banana muffins instead so everyone can have their own tasty mini-banana bread bites instead of whacking off slices from the communal loaf. I shook the recipe up even more and threw a cup of chocolate chips into the mix for good measure.
I think chocolate and bananas are a delightful combination. Think of the classic combos out there - chocolate covered bananas, the old camp fire standard of banana boats and would a banana split even exist without the chocolate sauce? I think not. So with that said, the recipe is as follows:
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 slightly beaten egg
1/3 cup melted butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
Preheat oven to 350 deg. Mix the mashed banana, sugar, egg and butter together in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl mix together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Mix wet and dry ingredients together just until well incorporated. Do not overmix or you will get a tough product. Bake in oven for approx. 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 18 muffins.

4 comments:

Whack Patti said...

What the @#$& is a banana boat?

smc said...

Oh come on whack patti, I know you made them at Camp Neawana. You take a banana with the skin left on, split it down the middle, fill it with chocolate, wrap it in foil and put it near the campfire until the chocolate melts and the banana is all yummy and gooey. Remember now???

Anonymous said...

Exactly what kinda freak show upbringing did you come from?

That sounds almost as disgusting as banana muffins with chocolate chips in them. Or pouring orange juice on pancakes.

Whack Patti said...

That must be like the poor man's s'mores.