Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Copycat Brach's Gumdrop Nougat Candy

 

When growing up, I loved the Brach's candy stand in the grocery store, chock-a-block full of sweet treats. On those rare occasions when my mom would fill up one of those pink and white striped bags, these gumdrop white nougat candies would always be included.  I believe they were her favorite, as they were mine.

I was recently watching some candy making You Tube videos thinking perhaps I'll get ambitious this holiday season and whip up a few batches of candy to share as gifts and I came across a video showing how to make these nougat candies. Let me just say, they are drop dead easy to make and are very similar to the taste of the real thing.  The nougat is not quite as chewy, but at my age with the number of crowns in my mouth, that's probably good.

I asked The Husband if he liked these and he placed them as his #1 worst candy, with Circus Peanuts running a close second.  I guess I will not be putting any in his stocking.

If you have 10 minutes to spare and are interested in whipping up a confection, this might be the recipe you've been waiting for.

Copycat Brach's Gumdrop Nougat Candy 

4 packed cups of miniature marshmallows

1 cup white chocolate chips

1 Tbsp butter

Pinch of salt

1 tsp vanilla

6.5 oz box of Dots

Place marshmallows, chips, and butter in a large microwaveable bowl. Place on high in microwave and cook, stopping every 15 seconds or so to stir. Use a spatula sprayed with vegetable spray.  Once this mixture is completely melted,  quickly add salt, vanilla and gumdrops and combine. Pour mixture in a 8x8 inch pan lined with parchment paper. I used a foil pan and just sprayed with vegetable spray and it worked very well. Leave in refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.  Using an oiled knife, cut into 1 inch cubes and wrap each cube in wax or parchment paper.

The recipe states if well wrapped, these will last for a few weeks. We'll see about that!

No comments: