Saturday, May 5, 2012

Clean Out The Fridge Quiche

I know I've posted about quiche before, but I had a different take on it today.  Sometimes quiche is such a great thing to make with leftovers.  In the fridge we had some leftover ham, a few green onions, and a small piece of cheddar cheese.  Making a quiche came to mind as a good way to use up these items in a different form other than an omelet, which was my initial thought. 

The pie crust I used this time was so fantastic.  As I have mentioned too many times before, pie crusts and I are not friends.  When I put this quiche together, I think we begrudgingly came to at least a cease fire.  I used a recipe in the Fanny Farmer Cookbook.  Plain and simple. I used butter, though shortening is acceptable.  I just prefer the taste of a butter crust.  After a 15 minute sit in the freezer, it rolled out perfectly.  It made me happy.

Fannie Farmer's Basic Pie Crust
(makes crust for one 9" pie)

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening (butter or Crisco) well chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 tsp salt
4-5 Tbsp. ice water

Place flour and salt in food processor and give it a few pulses.  Add butter and pulse 10-15 times until mixture resembles small peas.  Add 3-4 Tbsp. water. Pulse until mixture comes together in a loose ball.  Add more water if needed.  Dump out onto plastic wrap and form into a disc.  Wrap well and place in freezer for 15 min.  Roll out into diameter, approximately 1/2 inch greater than pie dish.  Gently place into pie dish without stretching dough.  Cut off any excess around the edges and crimp as desired.
Quiche Recipe

Please refer to my recipe found here for the basics and add your own combinations of fillings or cheeses.  Be Creative!




No comments: