Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Treasured Gift

Over the holidays I had the wonderful opportunity to visit with one of my oldest and dearest friends who also happens to be one of my devoted "fans" of this blog.  Janet and I lived in the same apartment building in the big city of Seattle along with a couple of other 20-somethings in the early '80s. A few of us also worked in a big hospital together so we had that in common also.  It was always an adventure and very much an extension of the college dorm life I had recently left behind and still missed.
Unlike me, Janet had amazing homemaking skills. She kept her apartment immaculate, had a great flare for decorating, and was terribly crafty. She still has all of those skills and then some.  As an amazing gift for me this Christmas she made me the colorful quilted shawl in honor of my Pie-O-My blog.  I can't even imagine how people can sit in front of a sewing machine and create things. It makes my tummy hurt just thinking about it (bad home economics experience!) She is a truly talented quilter.  I am so touched by this gift and my dear friend's thoughtfulness.
Today I am sharing a much loved recipe Janet gave me in those early Seattle days for Banana Chocolate Chip Cake.  I have revised it over the years and no longer add chocolate as I am a purest when it comes to banana bread.  It is a tried and true recipe that never fails to please those who try it.  Today I baked them in three mini-loaves so I could share them with others.  I only wish I could run upstairs at the Cassel Crag Apts. right now, knock on my friend's door and share a loaf with her. Thanks Janet!!

(P.S. Photo credits to The Husband for the quilt pictures)

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed, ripe bananas
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
6 1-oz milk chocolate bars, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a bowl, cream butter/margarine with sugar.  Beat in the eggs, then the vanilla and mashed bananas.  Sift in the flour, salt and baking soda.  Beat into the banana mixture, then stir in the chocolate.  Turn batter into a greased and floured 9x5 loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.  Cool on a rack.  (If using mini-loaf pans, cook for 30 min.)

2 comments:

KandN said...

Wonderful choice of material! The blueberries look like you could pluck them off the table.
She must have spotted those bolts of fabric and thought of you.

whack patti said...

It's lovely and very impressive!