Friday, February 24, 2012

New Twist On An Old Favorite

I try to eat a healthy breakfast every work day and that includes a bowl of oatmeal at least three times a week.  My go to oatmeal is another Bob's Red Mill product from here in Oregon called 5 Grain Cereal. It is a wonderful combination of oats and other grains that makes a delicious hot cereal. 
If I think ahead the night before, I put 1/2 cup of cereal combined with 1 cup of skim milk to soak overnight in the fridge, then microwave in the morning with a handful of raisins or dried cranberries.  This makes a soft and luscious oatmeal.  Another variation I share with you today is something I recently discovered, chocolate oatmeal.  It takes oatmeal to a whole other level with very little additional calories.  With a few slices of bananas or just by itself, this is like eating dessert for breakfast.  I don't cook this with milk, just water and add a splash of milk after it's cooked.  If you remember enjoying Chocolate Malt-O-Meal as a kid, you will certainly enjoy this.

Chocolate Oatmeal

1/2 cup old fashion oats
1 cup water
1 dash salt
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
Sugar or honey to taste

Combine oats, water and salt and stir. Microwave for 5 minutes.  Stir in cocoa and sugar.  Add a splash of milk if desired.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

whack patti said...

Yum!