Saturday, February 12, 2011
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
9 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (Using a rasp grater works very well)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and prepare your cookie sheets. Spray the cookie sheets with cooking spray and cover with a sheet of parchment paper.
4. Using a stand mixer beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, on medium-high speed.
6. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with 2 additions of milk.
8. Bake until a deep golden brown, about 16 - 20 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. I baked it 16 minutes, but that felt a bit too long. Assess halfway through and determine how much more time you will need.
9. Once completely baked, take the cookie sheets out and score immediately using a chef's knife or a pizza cutter.