Saturday, August 21, 2010

Buttermilk Pie

Sounds strange, doesn't it?  A buttermilk pie....what in the world would that taste like?  I had recently made fried chicken which called for a buttermilk soak overnight and had a 1/2 quart of the stuff leftover.  I have heard about this Southern specialty before so thought I would give it a try.

This is basically a custard pie but instead of the normal cream or milk based custard filling, it utilizes the slightly tangy and may I mention, lower fat buttermilk.  This was a very easy pie to make as I cheated and used a pre-made frozen crust.  Here's the verdict from our house:  I liked it alright though not enough to make again and The Husband gave me his version of a thumbs down by stating he wouldn't care if he ever had a piece of that pie again.   So, if the unusual ingredient of buttermilk turns you on, knock yourself out making this easy to bake pie.
Buttermilk Pie

3 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp flour, plus a little for dusting
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
nutmeg (optional)
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Beat eggs slightly and add sugar and flour.  Then add melted butter and mix well.  Add buttermilk and vanilla and mix.

Dust the unbaked pie shell with a little bit of flour.  Pour batter into shell and place on a baking sheet.  Dust the top if desired with a sprinkle of nutmeg.  Bake until custard is set, approximately 1 hour.  Cool before cutting into slices.

3 comments:

whack patti said...

Yuk!

Anonymous said...

Translation:

"I wouldn't care if I ever had this again" = "I'm going to hurl!"

Anonymous said...

Alternative translation:

"I wouldn't care if I ever had this again" = "I'd gladly suck on a sweaty jock strap just to get the taste of this out of my mouth."