Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Perfect Appetizer

We are harvesting the last of the beautiful tomatoes and basil from our garden and I wanted to make something different with the tomatoes. I had some puff pastry in the freezer which I have used to make apple tarts and today I made a savory tomato, goat cheese and caramelized onion tart. I remember seeing Ina Garten make something similar to this and I have to say, it's a great, elegant and easy appetizer.

There is some prep work involved like caramelizing the onions. To do this, I just sauteed the onions in olive oil, a splash of white wine and some seasoning until they were perfectly browned and caramelized. You also have to make sure your puff pastry is thawed and rolled out to about 1/8 inch thick. I cut mine into 3 inch circles using a small saucer as a guide. You also have to make a cut around the pastry at 1/4 inch around the outside edge, but be careful not to go all the way through the pastry. This allows a rim to rise above the tart as it bakes.I picked up some goat cheese that was flavored with sun dried tomatoes and basil which was a perfect addition to this tasty dish. Wouldn't this be a sophisticated first course for a sit down dinner?Tomato, Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart
(Makes 4-5)

1 sheet of puff pastry thawed and cut into 3 inch circles, scored 1/4 inch around each diameter
2 medium size tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 large onion, sliced thin
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. white wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp dried Italian herbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
2 Tbsp shredded fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Saute onions in olive oil and white wine until caramelized, adding salt, pepper and Italian herbs half way through their cooking time. Cut puff pastry into 3 inch circles, score and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle 1 tsp. of Parmesan cheese inside the scored circle of each tart. Add a thin layer of caramelized onions, then a sprinkle of goat cheese, then two tomato slices, then some basil and more Parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Serve warm.

3 comments:

KandN said...

Oh. My. Word. That looks delicious!
I'll beat out whackpatti this time: Yumm!!

Jennifer B said...

Yummy! Looks and sounds delicious and not too hard either, my favorite :)

whack patti said...

K....I tasted it and it was indeed yummy! But I am going to see your "Yum" and raise you a "yummy" on a soup that hasn't even been posted yet!