Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Almost Pie-O-My

What to do with a half a bag of frozen peaches and frozen blueberries in the freezer, I quandaried? A pie would be nice but my irrational fear of fighting to get a bottom and top crust together into a harmonious dessert got the best of me. What I opted for was a free form fruit galette. Almost a pie but so much easier!

I'm very happy with how this impromptu cooking session turned out, as I truly was clueless when I walked into the kitchen to make a dessert. I utilized my go-to pie crust recipe of Martha Stewart's which is pate brissee. I have blogged this recipe in the past. I did cut the recipe in half as I only needed a single crust. The fruit filling consisted of, as I mentioned above, about four cups of frozen sliced peaches with about a cup of frozen blueberries. Into the fruit I added in 2 Tbsp of cinnamon sugar and 2 Tbsp of corn starch to thicken the juices.I made the pastry in the food processor, rolled it out, slapped it onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, mound the fruit in the center and folded the crust up around the fruit. I brushed a little cream around the crust edges and sprinkled on some sugar and baked the galette for 45 minutes in a 400 degree oven. A sliver of this rustic, almost-pie and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream was a perfectly delicious dessert.

1 comment:

KandN said...

Looks Simply lovely, SS!