Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Coconut Macaroons

There is a wonderful bakery in a small town called McMinnville, Oregon near my town and they make the best coconut macaroons I have ever had. I have searched and tried many a macaroon recipe trying to duplicate this cookie to no avail, until today.

I have found a recipe and unfortunately I don't know the source. I read it months ago and took screenshots of the recipe where it has been sitting on my phone. I decided to give it a whirl today and it is a perfect macaroon.  Loaded with coconut, sweet, gooey in the middle, crunchy around the edges....just delightful. The other positive thing is that it is an easy recipe to make with no need for getting out the mixer. 

Coconut Macaroons

4 egg whites
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
Mix together in medium saucepan over low until tepid. Do not overheat.

Add:
1/4 cup flour
1 cup toasted coconut
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla

Heat over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture resembles thick mashed potatoes.

Put mixture in bowl and cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 350 deg.

Place mixture in 1/8 cup mounds on parchment lined baking sheet.

Cook for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.  Cool on rack.

No comments: