Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Grandma's Pie Crust

As promised on my Thanksgiving blog, I said I would post my grandma's delicious pie crust recipe.  When I made my pumpkin pie, it was in a deep dish pie pan so I doubled the recipe and there wasn't much left as far as scraps go.  The recipe card says this makes an 8" pie crust.  It also makes approximately 16 muffin pan size crusts for tarts.

Grandma's Pie Crust

3 Tbsp cold butter, cut into small cubes
2 Tbsp cold Crisco shortening, cut into small cubes
1 cup all purpose flour
1 pinch of salt
2-3 Tbsp ice water

Cut the butter and Crisco into the flour and salt.  Add the water, one tablespoon at a time and combine until a ball forms, but not sticky.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 min before rolling out.

I do this in my food processor and with just a few pulses, it's done. Very simple.  Happy Pie Baking!

No comments: