Friday, June 15, 2012

Strawberry Fields Forever

It's the beginning of strawberry season in the Willamette Valley.  This is a wonderful time of year when the markets start filling up with beautiful red jewels of local berries. Strawberries are my favorite and as I have said in previous years, no strawberries are better.  They are red, flavorful, and very juicy.  Perfect for strawberry shortcake.
I celebrated the first strawberries by making a wonderful, rich scone recipe for the shortcake portion.  This was found in my Fannie Farmer Cookbook.  This is a great basic cookbook for good American cooking. Nothing fancy but very reliable and delicious recipes.  The scones turned out very well, with a light texture and they were very flavorful.  I omitted the currants and orange rind called for, but if serving as a plain scone they would be lovely additions.

They are also very quick to make despite the fact that for the life of me I couldn't locate my pastry cutter.  I always keep it in a drawer that includes my rolling bin and other baking utensils.  I can't imagine that The Husband would have any use for it......or has he?  Anyway I cut the butter into the flour using the old fashioned method of two knives and it worked fine.  Enjoy!
Buttermilk Scones

3 cups flour
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup currants  (optional)
1 tsp. grated orange rind (zest) (optional)
1 tbsp. heavy cream
Sugar for top of scones

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Use an ungreased baking sheet. Combine the flour, 1/3 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir with a fork to mix well and aerate. Cut the butter into the flour mixture, using a pastry blender or two knives or working in with your fingertips, until the mixture looks like fresh crumbs. Add the buttermilk, currants, and orange rind. Mix only until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gather the dough into a ball and press so it holds together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly twelve times. Divide the dough in two and pat each half into a circle 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. In a small bowl combine the cream, cinnamon, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, stirring to blend. Brush the dough with the glaze (I brush the cut up wedges on the baking sheet). Cut each circle into eight pie-shaped pieces. (I chose to cut mine out individual with a biscuit cutter). Place the scones slightly apart on the baking sheet.

Bake for about 12-25 minutes, or until the tops are browned. Serve hot.

1 comment:

KandN said...

Funny, we discovered how wonderfully cream scones go with strawberries, too! :)
Never been a fan of serving them with sponge cake and buttermilk biscuits sounded like more flavor competition than I wanted.