Friday, July 22, 2011

Vietnamese Chocolate Truffle Iced Coffee

During the summer it is a rare thing for me to make an iced coffee at home. Unsweetened ice tea is my usual go-to refreshing beverage.  Recently, because I'm a publisher on the Foodbuzz food blog community, I received two 12 oz. bags of coffee from Godiva as part of a Foodbuzz Tastemaker program.  I'm sure everyone is familiar with Godiva's ethereal chocolates, but who knew they produce flavored coffees also. 
My wonderful gift box contained a bag of French Vanilla and one of Chocolate Truffle.  They also have a Hazelnut Creme flavor.  I have to say The Husband and I are not really fans of flavored coffees for our morning blend, but as an iced drink they couldn't be more appropriate.

My iced coffee drink was concoction of my own making; Vietnamese Chocolate Truffle Iced Coffee.  Now that's quite a title.  I have read of methods to make a cold brew coffee concentrate which creates a strong, smooth blend of coffee. The finished results was an extremely strong concentrate that you can add hot water to for regular coffee or prepare as an iced beverage.  I'll give you a brief run through of the process.  My measurements for the condensed milk and regular milk is variable.  It's all a matter of taste.

Vietnamese Chocolate Truffle Iced Coffee

1 cup of coffee grounds
1 3/4 cups of cold water
Condensed milk
Milk, half and half, or heavy cream

1)  Put 1 cup of coffee grounds and 1 3/4 cup of cold water in a bowl. Stir to ensure all of the grounds are moistened.  Cover and let steep for at least 8 hours at room temperature.

2)  Line a fine meshed strainer with a coffee filter or double layer of cheesecloth.  Pour coffee mixture through strainer slowly and let drip until the majority of the liquid has seeped through into a receiving container.
3)  Fill a glass with ice.  Fill glass 3/4 full with coffee concentrate.  Add 3-4 tablespoons of condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of milk, half and half, or heavy cream and stir well. 
When I poured in the milk I immediately thought of Carly Simon's song Your So Vain and the line about "clouds in my coffee."  The end result is a wonderful caramel colored beverage. Enjoy!

No comments: