Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hummus, Oh Yes!

I love, love, love hummus. Unfortunately, The Husband-not so much. That didn't come out right. I love, love, love The Husband. He doesn't love, love, love hummus.  Oh this is getting confusing.

The point is, I don't make it very often when I'm the only one eating it. We do both enjoy pita chips and a big bag was purchased this weekend so I felt the need to whip up a batch of that creamy, garlicky, Middle Eastern favorite.  It is traditionally made with garbanzo beans, also called chick peas.  Another vital ingredient is tahini, a sesame seed paste.  The tahini I had, but not the chick peas.  I said to myself, "Self, why wouldn't cannelloni beans work just as well."  And you know what?  They did!  So here is my tried and true hummus recipe which I gladly share with you.

Hummus

3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water
6 Tbsp tahini, stirred well
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling over the top of desired
1 14 oz. can chickpeas (or cannelloni beans), drained and rinsed
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil together in a food processor, fitted with a steel blade.  Process until mixture is smooth.  Through pouring hole, slowly drizzle olive oil, pulsing until mixture is thoroughly combined.  Put in serving bowl, drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with paprika.  Serve with pita chips.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That looks so good. You do a great job with the photos!

Store-bought hummus is exorbidantly priced and has an icky frothy texture.

Homemade is definitely superior!