Saturday, June 12, 2010

Not Your Momma's Ice Tea

How is it I have never tasted the infamous Long Island Ice Tea?  Well, I can quit wondering now what all the commotion is regarding this particular beverage because I found a recipe in the new huge Gourmet cookbook I recently acquired and decided to whip one together.

I first had to take inventory of the liquor cupboard to ensure that I had all 5, that's FIVE potent potables required.  Here is the list:  Rum, Vodka, Gin, Triple Sec and Tequila along with some lemon juice, a touch of superfine sugar and topped with some cola. 

This is not a cocktail to drink quickly, but if nursed over a few hours as I did, it was quite refreshing and tasty.  I have to admit, other than the color, I tasted no resemblance to ice tea.  Give it a try sometime if you want to get rid of the dregs of your bottles and you don't have to work in the morning!
Long Island Iced Tea
(makes 2, or one double but watch out)

1 Tbsp gin
1 Tbsp vodka
1 Tbsp light rum
1 Tbsp tequila
1 Tbsp Triple Sec
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp superfine sugar
1/2 cup cola

Put 1 cup ice in cocktail shaker, add the liquors, sugar and lemon juice and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.  Strain into two tall 8 oz. glasses, filled with ice.  Add 1/4 cup cola to each glass and stir.  Garnish with lemon wedges

1 comment:

whack patti said...

Yum