Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chili Con Carne-Pike Place Market Style

I was so sad to discover my favorite chili restaurant was no longer open in Seattle's Pike Place Market when we went for a visit a couple months ago. It was a little tiny shop in the bowels of the market where the feisty owner (he was never very friendly) would ladle out his multiple chili concoctions to us, his lucky patrons. I don't even remember the name of the place but I have such fond memories of wandering around the market doing my shopping on cold, rainy Saturdays and I would either have a lunch of a bowl of chili or go to my other favorite place for a bowl of piping hot wonton soup at the Vietnamese counter restaurant.

Here is my attempt at a meaty, warm, spicy, but not fiery hot chili con carne which I serve over little seashell pasta, topped with sharp cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. This is how I always use to eat it at the restaurant after saying "no thank you" to onions when always asked and getting a scowl from the owner. I'm telling you, he was crabby but boy could he make good chili!Chili Con Carne (This recipe is for 4 servings when combined with pasta)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp California style chili powder (I buy mine in the Hispanic section of my grocery store)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 lb chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 can beef broth
1 can drained whole tomatoes, cut into quarters
1 can drained and rinsed pinto beans
3/4 cup dark beer
small seashell pasta, cooked
garnishes of choice (grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, green or white chopped onions)

Saute onions and garlic until soft. Add beef cubes and cook until meat loses it's pink color. Add all of the spices and cook 5 minutes. Add beer, broth, tomatoes and beans. Simmer, partially covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more liquid (beer or broth) if chili becomes too thick. Serve over pasta.

5 comments:

The Husband said...

I went there once with my wife, and when I asked for my soft drink without ice, he refused! What a tool...

Julie said...

Yum...I've been in a chili mood lately, and this looks great!

whack patti said...

I too enjoy my chili this way. I made some vegetarian chili tonight and served it over orzo. It was very satisfying.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.